PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the formula used for final WC settlement in California?

kingfish57
05-23-2006, 03:41 PM
It all started with carpal tunnel on both hands, which elevated to chronic pain on my elbows and shoulders. To date, I've had 7 surgeries. I've been out of work since November of 2005. I have 2 more scheduled surgeries, pending authorization from my employer's WC insurance. Does anyone know the formula used for final WC settlement in the state of California? I am disabled and broke. I need to know what to expect in the end -- that behind the dark clouds is a silver lining :(

ElleMD
05-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Straight from the CA WC website

Permanent disability benefits

Injured workers who are permanently disabled -- those who have a permanent labor market handicap -- are entitled to receive permanent disability benefits. A worker who is determined to have a permanent total disability receives the temporary disability benefit -- up to $728 per week -- for life. A worker determined to have a permanent partial disability receives weekly benefits for a period which increases with the percentage of disability, from four weeks for a one percent permanent disability up to 694.25 weeks for a 99.75 percent disability. Permanent partial disability benefits are also payable at two-thirds of the injured worker's average weekly wages, but are subject to a much lower maximum. As of Jan. 1, 2004, the rates are $220 per week for disabilities less than 69.75 percent and $270 per week for disabilities rated at 70 to 99.75 percent. Those with a permanent partial disability of 70 percent or more also receive a small life pension -- a maximum of $257.69 per week -- following the final payment of permanent partial disability benefits.

The percentage of permanent disability is determined by using the Permanent Disability Rating Schedule and an assessment of the injured worker's permanent impairment and limitations.

The Permanent Disability Rating Schedule specifies standard percentage ratings for permanent impairments and limitations, and provides for the modification of these standard ratings based on the injured worker's age and occupation. The standard rating is adjusted for age by lowering the rating for younger workers and increasing it for older workers on the theory that it is easier for younger people to adjust to a permanent handicap. The standard rating is adjusted for occupation by increasing the rating if the permanent impairment or limitation will be more of an impediment in performing the worker's occupation, and lowering the rating if it will have a lesser impact.

The assessment of the injured worker's permanent impairment and limitations is made by either the treating physician or a "Qualified Medical Evaluator" (QME). The Division of Workers' Compensation's Medical Unit appoints and regulates QME's. If there is disagreement with the treating physician's opinion and the worker is not represented by an attorney, he or she chooses a physician from a three member panel obtained from the DWC Medical Unit. If the worker is represented by an attorney, the parties must attempt to agree on a physician to perform the evaluation. If they are unable to agree, each side may obtain evaluations from a QME of their choice. If the evaluations are disparate, the amount of permanent disability will be determined by negotiation or, if necessary, litigation.

The schedule for rating disabilities can be found here http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/PDR.pdf

* Find more information on Worker's Compensation.
Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements