PDA

View Full Version : being stalked by a private investigator....what rights do i have????


Jeff
05-24-2004, 07:52 AM
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriend
is a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he found
out that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and has
told her he will use all his resources to find out everything about
me. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he will
follow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the point
where I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'm
not being followed. I really dont want this person to know where I
live and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm considering
calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me.
My question is what rights do these PI's have to search your
background without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do I
have any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any info
would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Timothy Horrigan
05-24-2004, 08:27 AM
>I'm considering
calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me.My question is what rights do these PI's have to search yourbackground without my permission?

Public records are public records. Even a jerk like this guy has the right to
search them. What he does not have the right to do is to harrass you.

I would not go to too much trouble just to keep him from finding out where you
live--- because (unless he's even dumber than you make him sound) he probably
already knows where you live. Even if your ex didn't tell him, it's not too
tough to find out that particular piece of info... especially if you happen to
be listed in the phone book :-)

Hopefully one of two things will happen soon. He will get bored with you and
stop investigating you. Or his girlfriend will tell him to stop.


*****
Tim Horrigan <horrigan@aol.com>
*****

Richard
05-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Jeff wrote:

I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriend is a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he found out that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and has told her he will use all his resources to find out everything about me. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he will follow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the point where I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'm not being followed. I really dont want this person to know where I live and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm considering calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me. My question is what rights do these PI's have to search your background without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do I have any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I do not give legal advice. This is a discussion group, not an attorney's
office.


If he is a licensed PI in that state, file a formal complaint with the
licesning agency.
Go ahead and make contact with the police department about him.
As most PI's have a working relationship with the local police, they may
want to know these things.
It's a toss up if the police will take action.
As long as he doesn't come into physical contact with you, harass you in any
way, he has the right to be there as much as you do.

Anybody can search your background as far as public records go.

Invasion of privacy? I doubt it as long as he and you are in the public
arena.

informant
05-24-2004, 09:03 AM
"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
news:c8t1360ssj@news1.newsguy.com...
Jeff wrote:
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriend is a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he found out that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and has told her he will use all his resources to find out everything about me. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he will follow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the point where I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'm not being followed. I really dont want this person to know where I live and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm considering calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me. My question is what rights do these PI's have to search your background without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do I have any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I do not give legal advice. This is a discussion group, not an attorney's office.

No, it's a decrepit trailer of unemployed Tater Trucker Bullis. No work
again today, Liar?

If he is a licensed PI in that state, file a formal complaint with the licesning agency. Go ahead and make contact with the police department about him. As most PI's have a working relationship with the local police, they may want to know these things. It's a toss up if the police will take action. As long as he doesn't come into physical contact with you, harass you in
any
way, he has the right to be there as much as you do. Anybody can search your background as far as public records go.

Yet you whine like a retarded Fukkkhead and threaten lawsuits when your
records are made public, Bullis.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=SSN,+Bullis&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=199907
262226.AAA29039%40mail.replay.com&rnum=1

Invasion of privacy? I doubt it as long as he and you are in the public arena.

<SLAP> Then get out of the public arena, L4EM.


Path:
sn-us!sn-xit-05!sn-xit-09!supernews.com!nntp.cs.ubc.ca!newsfeed.stanford. edu
!logbridge.uoregon.edu!pln-e!spln!dex!extra.newsguy.com!newsp.newsguy.com!ne
ws1
From: "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
Newsgroups: misc.legal
Subject: Re: being stalked by a private investigator....what rights do i
have????
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 09:33:55 -0500
Organization: http://newsguy.com
Lines: 37
Message-ID: <c8t1360ssj@news1.newsguy.com>
References: <a904e489.0405240552.741da83f@posting.google.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: p-348.newsdawg.com
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
X-No-Archive: yes
FL-Build: Fidolook 2002 (SL) 6.0.2600.78 - 24/10/2002 21:18:29
Xref: sn-us misc.legal:492234

PTRAVEL
05-24-2004, 10:31 AM
"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
news:c8t1360ssj@news1.newsguy.com...
Jeff wrote:
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriend is a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he found out that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and has told her he will use all his resources to find out everything about me. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he will follow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the point where I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'm not being followed. I really dont want this person to know where I live and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm considering calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me. My question is what rights do these PI's have to search your background without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do I have any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I do not give legal advice. This is a discussion group, not an attorney's office.

You're Richard Bullis, aren't you?

And you're not an attorney, and a fair amount of what you've said is wrong.
It's bad enough when you try to give legal advice. When you attach a
preamble like this, it creates the impression that you are actually a lawyer
(and, no, you do not need to be in an attorney's office for an
attorney/client relationship to be formed -- yet something else you don't
know).

I don't know why you have this fascination with the law, but you are
appallingly ignorant of it. Don't give legal advice. Someone may believe
you and get into an enormous amount of trouble because of you.

If he is a licensed PI in that state, file a formal complaint with the licesning agency. Go ahead and make contact with the police department about him. As most PI's have a working relationship with the local police, they may want to know these things. It's a toss up if the police will take action. As long as he doesn't come into physical contact with you, harass you in
any
way, he has the right to be there as much as you do. Anybody can search your background as far as public records go. Invasion of privacy? I doubt it as long as he and you are in the public arena.

David Martel
05-24-2004, 11:53 AM
PT,

If you don't value Mr. Bullis's advice try using your e-mail filters. The
caveat, "I do not give legal advice.", should put any one on notice that the
advice in news groups may not be worth much. In this post Mr. Bullis gives
fairly good advice and it's on topic.
And please take your friends with you, they contribute little here.

Dave M.

Christopher Green
05-24-2004, 12:33 PM
runback22@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<a904e489.0405240552.741da83f@posting.google.com>...
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriend is a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he found out that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and has told her he will use all his resources to find out everything about me. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he will follow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the point where I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'm not being followed. I really dont want this person to know where I live and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm considering calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me. My question is what rights do these PI's have to search your background without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do I have any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You don't mention the state, but it is possible that his conduct falls
under your state's stalking law. If so, you should be able to get a
stay-away order against him without too much trouble. You might also
be able to get the state PI licensing board to investigate.

Unfortunately, you are on your own in determining whether he is
unstable enough that taking action would be seen by him as
provocation, so if I were in your shoes, I would let it blow over
unless or until there have been multiple incidents or a credible
threat.

--
Not a lawyer,

Chris Green

Richard
05-24-2004, 02:18 PM
PTRAVEL wrote:

You're Richard Bullis, aren't you?

Brilliant deduction dr. watson. So sue me.

And you're not an attorney, and a fair amount of what you've said is wrong. It's bad enough when you try to give legal advice. When you attach a preamble like this, it creates the impression that you are actually a lawyer (and, no, you do not need to be in an attorney's office for an attorney/client relationship to be formed -- yet something else you don't know).
I don't know why you have this fascination with the law, but you are appallingly ignorant of it. Don't give legal advice. Someone may believe you and get into an enormous amount of trouble because of you.

I make it clear up front I am not an attorney and do not pretend to be one.
As some in this group do claim.
You can not have a client-attorney relatioship in an anonymous forum arena.
To ahve that relationship, the attorney MUST know whom he is dealing with.
Furthermore, as state lines are easily crossed, as well as national
boundaries, no attorney who is licensed in state A, and not licensed in
state B, can not give legal advice to a resident of state B.

I don't believe any court in any state, let alone the country, would accept
that a relationship exists between anonymous screen names in a public forum
such as this.

The purpose of this group is to ASSIST those who may have problems in any
legal matter.
It is not implied that only attorneys may reply.
Then how is one to know who the licensed attorneys are and in which states
they practice?
Oh and are you licensed to practice law in canada or the UK?
Yet licensed attorneys in the states do just that.

No I am not an attorney. By trade I am a truck driver.
I reply based upon life personal experiences and knowledge I have learned
through the years.
When necessary, I will provide the person with links to websites that may be
of assitance.

As always, if you need LEGAL ADVICE, hire an attorney.
You won't get it here.

Cainman
05-24-2004, 02:21 PM
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel88-usenet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2hemakFc1hkpU1@uni-berlin.de...
"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message news:c8t1360ssj@news1.newsguy.com...
Jeff wrote:
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriend is a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he found out that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and has told her he will use all his resources to find out everything about me. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he will follow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the point where I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'm not being followed. I really dont want this person to know where I live and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm considering calling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me. My question is what rights do these PI's have to search your background without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do I have any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I do not give legal advice. This is a discussion group, not an
attorney's
office. You're Richard Bullis, aren't you?

Yep he's "Richard" Bullis AKA "lost4evermore" @ truck.net


http://roundtable.truck.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8893


And you're not an attorney, and a fair amount of what you've said is
wrong.
It's bad enough when you try to give legal advice. When you attach a preamble like this, it creates the impression that you are actually a
lawyer
(and, no, you do not need to be in an attorney's office for an attorney/client relationship to be formed -- yet something else you don't know). I don't know why you have this fascination with the law, but you are appallingly ignorant of it. Don't give legal advice. Someone may believe you and get into an enormous amount of trouble because of you.


SUBSCRIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

If he is a licensed PI in that state, file a formal complaint with the licesning agency. Go ahead and make contact with the police department about him. As most PI's have a working relationship with the local police, they may want to know these things. It's a toss up if the police will take action. As long as he doesn't come into physical contact with you, harass you in any
way, he has the right to be there as much as you do. Anybody can search your background as far as public records go. Invasion of privacy? I doubt it as long as he and you are in the public arena.

Cainman
05-24-2004, 02:22 PM
"David Martel" <marte005@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:rEqsc.7387$Tn6.4679@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
PT, If you don't value Mr. Bullis's advice try using your e-mail filters.
The
caveat, "I do not give legal advice.", should put any one on notice that
the
advice in news groups may not be worth much. In this post Mr. Bullis gives fairly good advice and it's on topic.


Bullis? Give good advice?


Are you on drugs? Because drugs are bad for you, dude.

PTRAVEL
05-25-2004, 12:32 AM
"David Martel" <marte005@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<rEqsc.7387$Tn6.4679@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>...
PT, If you don't value Mr. Bullis's advice try using your e-mail filters.

The point isn't whether I value it, but whether others believe it.
He's very often wrong, as he was in this instance. His new preamble
gives the impression that he's a lawyer which, of course, he is not.
When his posts are accurate, I don't say anything. When they're not,
I'll point it out.


The caveat, "I do not give legal advice.", should put any one on notice that the advice in news groups may not be worth much.

He does not give legal advice because it is illegal to do so. If he
had said IANAL, that would have been an adequate disclaimer. _I_
don't give legal advice, because no one on these newsgroups is my
client. I, however, am licensed to do so.

In this post Mr. Bullis gives fairly good advice and it's on topic.

It's on topic, and also wrong.

And please take your friends with you, they contribute little here.

I have no idea what you mean by "my friends." This newsgroups is
misc.legal, I am a lawyer, and I will post here, as I have been doing
for many years.

Dave M.

David Martel
05-25-2004, 10:19 AM
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message
news:979ad702.0405242232.c758887@posting.google.co m...
"David Martel" <marte005@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:<rEqsc.7387$Tn6.4679@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>...
PT, If you don't value Mr. Bullis's advice try using your e-mail filters. The point isn't whether I value it, but whether others believe it.


I don't think that you can protect the credulous and find your desire for
censorship in this newsgroup unwise.


He's very often wrong, as he was in this instance. His new preamble gives the impression that he's a lawyer which, of course, he is not. When his posts are accurate, I don't say anything. When they're not, I'll point it out.

Please do point out errors. It's a little late in this post but I'd not
object in the future to this. In this post topic you did not pointed out any
errors in his reasoning. This gives no one any way to judge Mr. Bullis's
advice. I don't see much value in arguing that your advice on this topic is
bad because you've often given bad advice in the past. Ad hominem attacks
aren't the way to enlightenment.
I disagree with your comments about his preamble. I believe that one
would have to be very credulous to believe that Mr. Bullis or any one else
here is a lawyer or an expert on a particular topic. When a question is
posted here it is like casting a net in the sea. You have to sort the catch
and some of it may not be worth keeping.


The caveat, "I do not give legal advice.", should put any one on notice that
the
advice in news groups may not be worth much. He does not give legal advice because it is illegal to do so. If he had said IANAL, that would have been an adequate disclaimer. _I_ don't give legal advice, because no one on these newsgroups is my client. I, however, am licensed to do so.

The use of the disclaimer IANAL which you seem to endorse is
problematic. Those who need this advice the most are those who do not
frequent the legal newsgroups and are therefore unlikely to know what IANAL
means.


In this post Mr. Bullis gives fairly good advice and it's on topic. It's on topic, and also wrong.
And please take your friends with you, they contribute little here. I have no idea what you mean by "my friends." This newsgroups is misc.legal, I am a lawyer, and I will post here, as I have been doing for many years.

From your comments in attacking Mr. Bullis's posts I assumed you were in
cahoots with cainman et al. Their attacks are always ad hominem and they
contribute little here. I offer sincere apologies for this assumption.
Dave M.

PTRAVEL
05-25-2004, 11:17 AM
"David Martel" <marte005@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:2mKsc.8844$Tn6.5997@newsread1.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
"PTRAVEL" <ptravel@ruyitang.com> wrote in message news:979ad702.0405242232.c758887@posting.google.co m...
"David Martel" <marte005@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<rEqsc.7387$Tn6.4679@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.n et>...
PT, If you don't value Mr. Bullis's advice try using your e-mail
filters.
The point isn't whether I value it, but whether others believe it. I don't think that you can protect the credulous and find your desire
for
censorship in this newsgroup unwise.

I think I can help protect the credulous. I also think you have a distorted
understanding of the meaning of censorship.


He's very often wrong, as he was in this instance. His new preamble gives the impression that he's a lawyer which, of course, he is not. When his posts are accurate, I don't say anything. When they're not, I'll point it out. Please do point out errors. It's a little late in this post but I'd not object in the future to this. In this post topic you did not pointed out
any
errors in his reasoning. This gives no one any way to judge Mr. Bullis's advice. I don't see much value in arguing that your advice on this topic
is
bad because you've often given bad advice in the past. Ad hominem attacks aren't the way to enlightenment.

Good point, and I agree. Christopher Green gave pretty good information when
he advised about the existence of anti-stalking laws and restraining orders.


I disagree with your comments about his preamble. I believe that one would have to be very credulous to believe that Mr. Bullis or any one else here is a lawyer or an expert on a particular topic. When a question is posted here it is like casting a net in the sea. You have to sort the
catch
and some of it may not be worth keeping.

Lawyers who post here always begin with a similar disclaimer. There is no
reason for a non-lawyer to use it, except to create the impression that he
is a lawyer. That might not have been Richard Bullis' intent, but it was
certainly the effect.




The caveat, "I do not give legal advice.", should put any one on notice
that
the
advice in news groups may not be worth much. He does not give legal advice because it is illegal to do so. If he had said IANAL, that would have been an adequate disclaimer. _I_ don't give legal advice, because no one on these newsgroups is my client. I, however, am licensed to do so. The use of the disclaimer IANAL which you seem to endorse is problematic. Those who need this advice the most are those who do not frequent the legal newsgroups and are therefore unlikely to know what
IANAL
means.

Sorry, I was using short hand. The use of the phrase, "I am not a lawyer,"
is an adequate disclaimer that allows the reader to understand the basis for
the post. I agree that usenet abbreviations can be unnecessarily cryptic.


In this post Mr. Bullis gives fairly good advice and it's on topic. It's on topic, and also wrong.
And please take your friends with you, they contribute little here. I have no idea what you mean by "my friends." This newsgroups is misc.legal, I am a lawyer, and I will post here, as I have been doing for many years. From your comments in attacking Mr. Bullis's posts I assumed you were
in
cahoots with cainman et al.

I'm not in cahoot with anyone, and I don't know who "cainman" is.

Richard Bullis came to my attention several years ago when he was routinely
posting completely erroneous information about trademark infringement, which
happens to be the area in which I practice. My belief is that Richard
Bullis' posts were potentially dangerous in that, anyone following his
"advice" could have incurred significant liability. In the beginning, I
assumed he was well-intentioned but simply misinformed. I corrected his
errors at length, even to the point of providing case citiations and
statutory references. Nonetheless, he still persisted in spreading
misinformation, and his posts make him _sound_ like he knows what he's
talking about. Unfortunately, he often does not.


Their attacks are always ad hominem and they contribute little here. I offer sincere apologies for this assumption.

No problem. I appreciate the opportunity for clarification.


Dave M.

PTRAVEL
05-25-2004, 11:24 AM
"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
news:c8tl8o01lo7@news1.newsguy.com...
PTRAVEL wrote:
You're Richard Bullis, aren't you? Brilliant deduction dr. watson. So sue me.
And you're not an attorney, and a fair amount of what you've said is wrong. It's bad enough when you try to give legal advice. When you attach a preamble like this, it creates the impression that you are actually a lawyer (and, no, you do not need to be in an attorney's
office
for an attorney/client relationship to be formed -- yet something else you don't know).
I don't know why you have this fascination with the law, but you are appallingly ignorant of it. Don't give legal advice. Someone may believe you and get into an enormous amount of trouble because of you. I make it clear up front I am not an attorney and do not pretend to be
one.

I don't think that you did in this post. Quite the contrary, I think it
created the contrary impression.

As some in this group do claim.

Do you mean me? That's because I am a lawyer.

Paul N. Tauger, Esq.
Cal. State Bar No. 160552

You can not have a client-attorney relatioship in an anonymous forum
arena.

Completely wrong. I always post disclaimers specifically because it _is_
possible to establish an attorney-client relationship in a usenet group.

To ahve that relationship, the attorney MUST know whom he is dealing with.

Wrong again.

Furthermore, as state lines are easily crossed, as well as national boundaries, no attorney who is licensed in state A, and not licensed in state B, can not give legal advice to a resident of state B.

And, once again, wrong.

I don't believe any court in any state, let alone the country, would
accept
that a relationship exists between anonymous screen names in a public
forum
such as this.

Courts have, and do. Your belief as to what courts might or might not do
has no basis in fact or law.

The purpose of this group is to ASSIST those who may have problems in any legal matter.

According to whom? The purpose of this newsgroups is to discuss legal
issues. Only lawyers may assist people with problems in connection with
legal matters.

It is not implied that only attorneys may reply.

Of course not. However, only lawyers may give legal advice. And, more
importantly, only lawyers may hold themselves out as qualified to give legal
advice (narrow exceptions, such as patent registration, notwithstanding).

Then how is one to know who the licensed attorneys are and in which states they practice?

One can ask.

Oh and are you licensed to practice law in canada or the UK?

No, but I have clients in Canada to whom I give legal advice. Surprised?

Yet licensed attorneys in the states do just that.

That's because we're allowed to by law.

No I am not an attorney.

And if you preface your posts with that, I'll confine myself only to
correcting your errors.

By trade I am a truck driver.

A perfectly honorable trade, but one that doesn't qualify you to advise on
the law (except, perhaps, DOT-related issues about which, I'm sure, you know
more than I).

I reply based upon life personal experiences and knowledge I have learned through the years.

And that is why you can't get a license to practice law based on life
experience.

When necessary, I will provide the person with links to websites that may
be
of assitance.

Nothing wrong with that.

As always, if you need LEGAL ADVICE, hire an attorney. You won't get it here.

And with those last two lines, we are in complete agreement.

Guest
05-25-2004, 11:44 PM
On Mon, 24 May 2004 15:18:12 -0500 Richard <Anonymous@127.001> whittled these words:

You can not have a client-attorney relatioship in an anonymous forum arena. To ahve that relationship, the attorney MUST know whom he is dealing with.

Whether an attorney=client relationship has formed may have nothing to do
with whether the person giving the advice knows the true identity of the
person intended to receive it.

http://www.prairielaw.com/articles/article.asp?articleid=1323


Furthermore, as state lines are easily crossed, as well as national boundaries, no attorney who is licensed in state A, and not licensed in state B, can not give legal advice to a resident of state B.

The quality of "giving legal advice" is not usually measured by whether
you are licensed to do so. It is all too easy to give legal advice
without any legal right to do so.

http://www5.law.com/tx/today00/ethics0920.htm

I don't believe any court in any state, let alone the country, would accept that a relationship exists between anonymous screen names in a public forum such as this.

Don't bet on it.
http://www.usual.com/article9.htm

The purpose of this group is to ASSIST those who may have problems in any legal matter. It is not implied that only attorneys may reply. Then how is one to know who the licensed attorneys are and in which states they practice? Oh and are you licensed to practice law in canada or the UK? Yet licensed attorneys in the states do just that.

If the lanugage of the reply might lead a reasonable (although not
necessarily intelligent) person to believe the writer is an attorney a
court might well find that legal advice has been given, and the legality
of the advice subject to the appropriate level of scrutiny depending upon
whether the giver is or is not in fact authorized to practice law.

http://www.divorcenet.com/famlaw/famlaw-ethics03-99.html

No I am not an attorney. By trade I am a truck driver.

Anytime a writer tells someone what another should or should not do in a
particular situation they are giving advice. And if that situation
involves questions of law they are giving legal advice. Providing
information is more general, and leaves the analysis of how to apply the
information in the hands of the reader. For example, providing a
reference to a web page that includes a statute is providing information.
Explaining what that statute means in relationship to the particular
circumstances presented MIGHT very well be legal advice.

I reply based upon life personal experiences and knowledge I have learned through the years. When necessary, I will provide the person with links to websites that may be of assitance.

Providing more links and less "knowledge" is generally a safer way to
provide "information" instead of "advice."


As always, if you need LEGAL ADVICE, hire an attorney. You won't get it here.

When a person posts a question to a group called misc.legal they ARE
expecting legal advice. That's why they post.

http://www.abbottlaw.com/internetethics.html

And disclaimers - well
http://www.aaml.org/New_Articles/November%2003%20meeting/sacks%2011-03.htm



--
Diane Blackman

Barstool Lawyer
05-26-2004, 09:29 PM
In article <a904e489.0405240552.741da83f@posting.google.com>, Jeff says...
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriendis a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he foundout that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and hastold her he will use all his resources to find out everything aboutme. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he willfollow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the pointwhere I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'mnot being followed. I really dont want this person to know where Ilive and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm consideringcalling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me.My question is what rights do these PI's have to search yourbackground without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do Ihave any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any infowould be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You are in serious danger and you need to act immediately to protect yourself
and your girlfriend.

The whacko who is stalking you is the most dangerous kind of criminal I know of:
the obsessed ex-boyfriend. Do not take the threat that this person poses
lightly. He will not go away on his own and he will kill you and your
girlfriend. It happens everyday and it is only a matter of time before he goes
after you.

The reason he is stalking you is because he has been stalking his ex-girlfriend
since she booted him out. He will not accept the fact that his relationship
with her is over. Some guys just cannot let go.

The acts that you describe may be prohibited by your states stalking or
identity theft laws. In some states identity theft includes collecting
information for any unlawful purpose. If stalking is unlawful in your state,
then collecting information about you also be an act of identity theft.

You need to report this guy to the police immediately. Be sure to get the
police report number. If the cops wont do anything, then I recommend sending a
certified letter to every public official from the dog catcher to your
congressman. In your letter you should state that you fear that the whacko is
going to kill you and your girlfriend. Keep a copy of each letter and a copy of
the certified mail receipt.

You stated that the ex-boyfriend is a PI. Find out if he really is a PI or just
someone who works as an operative for a PI. File a complaint with whatever
state board licenses PIs and make a complaint to his employer, if there is one.

Next, find out what civil court protection is available to you. Most states have
some form of injunction or peace bond to keep this guy away from you. He wont
obey the order, but you need to document the threat this guy poses.

Finally, be ready to kill this guy. He will NEVER stop stalking your girlfriend
and you. When he gets a chance, he will kill you and her. Get yourself a good
12-gauge pump-action shotgun. Keep it loaded and keep it handy. Blow his ***
away the first chance you get, preferably somewhere near your home, your
girlfriends home, or your place of employment. The police reports, certified
letters, and court orders will be your ticket to a self-defense justification.

Owen James
05-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Since the guy is a stalker, he's pretty bent that his "property" is
being taken from him. It's pretty classic that he's doing everything
to harrass you. This guy is investing far too much effort to make
your life a living hell. There are a few things you can do:

1.) Make his stalking as public as possible. Inform everyone around
you including family, neighbors, police, etc. It's the old strategy
of 'belling the cat'. Make sure everyone who sees the stalker
recognizes who he is and what he's doing. These guys normally don't
have the guts to do much when there is so much light on them.
Eventually too much attention will drive him away.

2.) If your girlfriend has any contacts within his family and friends,
USE THEM! Let his family, friends, co-workers know whats going on.
Once again, that throws a bunch of unwanted light on him. Be tactful
and not overly emotional in explaining the problem. Just state that
your concerned about your safety and he's acting out in strange ways.
Stalkers are cowards for the most part. If others see his weaknesses,
he'll have to re-evaluate his life and what he's doing instead of
making yours miserable.

3.) Be smart about going places. Go to well lit establishments. Let
people know when you go out and where. Have a cell phone handy.

4.) While I abhor the use of weapons, depending on the threat level,
you'll have to make the determination of defending yourself. You
could use any type of weapon but be smart about it. If you have never
handled a gun, getting one won't make you automatically safe. Those
weapons can also be used against you if the confrontation becomes
heated. Just be smart about it.

5.) If he does confront you, there are two choices: either get in the
screaming match with him or let him vent. For the most part letting
him vent is best. Trying to 'tit-for-tat' might inflame him more. By
letting him go, he'll see that his problems really are not an interest
to you. His issues aren't that important to you as it is to him.


You'll get many opinions on this but what leverage does the guy really
have? If he does identify theft, then you can always point towards
him. This guy thinks he lives in a vacuum, don't think that you do
to.


O.



Barstool Lawyer <Barstool_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<c93na60au@drn.newsguy.com>...
In article <a904e489.0405240552.741da83f@posting.google.com>, Jeff says...
I need some serious help here. I'm dating a woman who's ex boyfriendis a private investigator. She had broken up with him and he foundout that I was now dating her. He has shown up at my work and hastold her he will use all his resources to find out everything aboutme. He only knows my name and age but he keeps telling her he willfollow me home and do everything he can to find me. Its to the pointwhere I take the long way home and make many turns to make sure i'mnot being followed. I really dont want this person to know where Ilive and this feeling of being stalked is horrible. I'm consideringcalling the police to file a report if he continues to approach me.My question is what rights do these PI's have to search yourbackground without my permission? What exactly can they check? Do Ihave any legal rights against this invasion of privacy? Any infowould be greatly appreciated. Thanks You are in serious danger and you need to act immediately to protect yourself and your girlfriend. The whacko who is stalking you is the most dangerous kind of criminal I know of: the obsessed ex-boyfriend. Do not take the threat that this person poses lightly. He will not go away on his own and he will kill you and your girlfriend. It happens everyday and it is only a matter of time before he goes after you. The reason he is stalking you is because he has been stalking his ex-girlfriend since she booted him out. He will not accept the fact that his relationship with her is over. Some guys just cannot let go. The acts that you describe may be prohibited by your state?s stalking or identity theft laws. In some states identity theft includes collecting information for any unlawful purpose. If stalking is unlawful in your state, then collecting information about you also be an act of identity theft. You need to report this guy to the police immediately. Be sure to get the police report number. If the cops won?t do anything, then I recommend sending a certified letter to every public official from the dog catcher to your congressman. In your letter you should state that you fear that the whacko is going to kill you and your girlfriend. Keep a copy of each letter and a copy of the certified mail receipt. You stated that the ex-boyfriend is a PI. Find out if he really is a PI or just someone who works as an operative for a PI. File a complaint with whatever state board licenses PI?s and make a complaint to his employer, if there is one. Next, find out what civil court protection is available to you. Most states have some form of injunction or peace bond to keep this guy away from you. He won?t obey the order, but you need to document the threat this guy poses. Finally, be ready to kill this guy. He will NEVER stop stalking your girlfriend and you. When he gets a chance, he will kill you and her. Get yourself a good 12-gauge pump-action shotgun. Keep it loaded and keep it handy. Blow his *** away the first chance you get, preferably somewhere near your home, your girlfriend?s home, or your place of employment. The police reports, certified letters, and court orders will be your ticket to a self-defense justification.

Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from www.LaborLawCenter.com, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements